ACFAC Meeting Minutes – September 17th, 2012
Members Present: Laura, Lauren, Colleen, Ed, Richard, Elyse, Ann, Jackie, Jay
Guests Present: Eric, Kathy, Renetta, Dr. Mohabir
- July minutes approved.
- Discussion held regarding goals / direction of the council and how to align these with the goals of the clinic. Kathy discussed the clinic goals that have already been achieved including the expanded clinic slots we have now, increased spirometry and social services support, ability to have appointment with same physician, and the endocrinology co-clinic monthly.
- Kathy also discussed clinic goals going forward, and identified several areas for the council to assist. These are: 1. Improving clinic attendance to the CFF standards (4 visits/year), 2. Improving support for newly diagnosed adult patients, including funding to be able to provide written resources, 3. Addressing need for support/education for the growing number of CF patients diagnosed with diabetes, 4. Getting CF to "fit into life", and 5. Difficulties with insurance, especially for those who are newly diagnosed. The council discussed each item in depth and decided to address the first item, improving clinic attendance. Laura to meet with Kathy to develop an action plan and get specifics regarding the issue.
- The Peer2Peer Program continues to move forward. Mentor training id being finalized and will begin in November. Logistics for those with cross-infection precautions are being addressed. The program is still looking for 2 more mentors, please notify Lauren in interested.
- Lauren was nominated and voted on as the new Vice Chairperson.
- Jay is working on the updates for the member changes on the ACFAC membership page.
- Reminders to continue to check the CF Center's Facebook Page for council updates, a link to the page to be emailed to council members for easier access.
- Laura did a CFRI Discovery Series presentation regarding parenting a CF and short discussion held that most of the literature addressed pregnancy and therefore women, but not parenting in general. For more information, feel free to contact Laura.
- Colleen has 2 possible candidates interested in council membership. She will send the applications via email when available and the council will plan to vote via email.
- The old outdated council brochures have been removed.
- Next meeting set for Wednesday, October 17th, 5pm-7pm.
- Laura to meet with Kathy regarding action plan for improving clinic attendance